Signs of bomb found at site of deadly California explosionMay 17, 2018 12:58am

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (AP) — An explosion that ripped through a Southern California day spa killed the owner, and investigators Wednesday were looking into whether she was targeted in the crime.

Authorities declined to publicly say if they believed the spa owner was targeted, but one official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press that she had been the intended recipient of an explosive package.

Remnants of an explosive device were found inside the badly damaged spa where the powerful explosion Tuesday afternoon shook the city of Aliso Viejo, about 50 miles (80.5 kilometers) south of Los Angeles, and tore a corner off the building that houses medical offices. Two patrons were seriously injured.

"We do not believe this was an accident," said Paul Delacourt, special agent in charge of the FBI's field office in Los Angeles. "Although the damage was extensive, there are some components that we have located at the scene of the explosion that are inconsistent with what one might expect to find at this business."

Investigators were working to determine a motive and figure out exactly how the device got to the spa, Delacourt said. No arrests were made.

The blast is believed to have been caused by a package sent to the spa, two officials told the AP. The spa owner was believed to be the target, one official said.

The officials were briefed on the investigation but not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

Formal identification of the body was continuing but authorities believe it was Ildiko Krajnyak (IL-di-koh KRY-nyak), a licensed cosmetologist, who owned the spa. Friends set up a fundraising campaign to cover her funeral costs and fly her son home from Seattle, where he attends college.

Krajnyak, 48, was originally from Hungary and had just visited there, according to her Facebook page and a neighbor. Her Facebook page showed photos from her home country, including a selfie outside the clinic where she trained to become an aesthetician 30 years ago.

Her Orange County business offered services such as facials, waxing and wrinkle treatments.

A voicemail recording at her business said the spa was closed through Monday and would reopen Tuesday, the day of the blast.

Irene White, a friend, read a statement Wednesday on behalf of Krajnyak's family, calling her death "a complete shock." The family asked for privacy as they mourn "a mother, a wife, a daughter and a friend." She said the family is cooperating with investigators.

The two customers injured underwent surgery Wednesday and were expected to survive. A third victim was treated for smoke inhalation.

Search warrants were served at the business and two other locations, including the Long Beach house of a man whose Facebook page features several photos with Krajnyak in Mexico, Canada and Portugal.

They also searched Krajnyak's house in Trabuco Canyon.

A neighbor there who would only give her first name as Tiffany said Krajnyak lived there with her estranged husband and mother, whom she cared for.

The couple, although separated, continued to live under the same roof, the neighbor said. Court records show they had filed jointly for bankruptcy in 2014 and the case was dismissed and closed Monday.

Attorney Andrew Bisom, who represented Krajnyak and Ronilo Vestil during the Chapter 13 bankruptcy proceedings, said they were far along on their mandated payment plan but hadn't completed it.

Bisom did not know them well and said there was nothing that stood out about them or their case.

The two-story building where the explosion had blown siding off the walls and shattered windows was closed Wednesday as bomb technicians and investigators from the Orange County Sheriff's Department, the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives sifted through debris.

Pieces of the explosive device recovered were sent to the FBI's laboratory in Quantico, Virginia, to be analyzed, Delacourt said.

___

Balsamo reported from Los Angeles. Associated Press journalists Amy Taxin in Orange, Brian Melley, Christopher Weber and John Antczak in Los Angeles and researcher Rhonda Shafner in New York contributed to this report.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Police: 3 family members found dead in Los Angeles housePolice are investigating the deaths of three family members found dead inside a Los Angeles home
Los Angeles police Investigate complaints against USC doctorPolice have opened a criminal investigation into years of complaints against a University of Southern California gynecologist accused in lawsuits of groping patients
A poster showing photos of suspects, some of whom remain at large, is seen at a news conference to announce indictments against the Mexican Mafia in Los Angeles Wednesday, May 23, 2018. Leaders of the notorious Mexican Mafia "gang of gangs" were charged Wednesday with running a government-like operation to control drug trafficking from inside Los Angeles County jails that included ordering violence against those who didn't obey. (AP Photo/Brian Melley)
Mexican Mafia busted for running crime in LA County jails
The Latest: Mexican Mafia busted in Los Angeles County jailsUS prosecutors have charged more than 80 members of the violent Mexican Mafia gang with taking part in a conspiracy to run drugs and carry out violent assaults ordered from inside Los Angeles County jails
FILE - In this April 25, 1997, file photo Andrew Urdiales, walks in police custody at police headquarters in Chicago. Urdiales has been found guilty of the murders of five women in Southern California more than two decades ago. The Orange County District Attorney's Office says jurors on Wednesday, May 23, 2018, convicted Urdiales of five counts of murder with multiple enhancements. The verdict raises to eight the number of women killed by the former Marine. (Dom Najolia/Chicago Sun-Times via AP, File)
Convicted killer found guilty of 5 California murders
FILE - In this Feb. 17, 2017, file photo, New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman speaks to colleagues at his office in New York. On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, the special prosecutor investigating former New York Attorney Schneiderman has started conducting interviews with the women whose allegations of violent slapping, choking and other abuse led to his resignation. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File)
APNewsBreak: Prosecutor interviewing Schneiderman accusers
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices